A Friday afternoon cooking fire ended in the total loss of a mobile home in Gastonia, according to officials.
A structure fire on Mobile Lane was reported around 2:53 p.m. and responders found the one-story manufactured home “with heavy fire coming from the front door and side windows of the structure,” the Gastonia Fire Department said.
There were no injuries to the occupants or firefighters. A total of 20 personnel and four trucks responded to the fire, which was extinguished in roughly 10 minutes, officials said.
The fire started on the stove and the home was damaged so badly that officials ruled it a total loss. The Red Cross is helping the displaced occupants.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Officials recommend the public follow a few guidelines while preparing meals:
Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from the stove top.
Always stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. If you have to leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
When simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
Always have a working smoke detector installed in residential dwellings.
If you have a cooking fire:
Just get out- when you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
Keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother small grease fires by sliding the lid over the pan and turning off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.