One family got the chance Friday to thank the firefighters who rescued them from their burning Charlotte home in the early hours of July 12.
The Jackson family was reunited with the firefighters who helped four of them escape their burning two-story home on Astoria Drive around 2 a.m. last Saturday.
Fire officials said an unattended candle started the fire on the first floor, forcing the parents and two of their children to take shelter in a second-floor bathroom.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The closed door gave the family extra time to survive the dangerous conditions, officials said, while the 911 dispatcher relayed life-saving tips until help arrived.
Firefighters, using a ladder, removed one family member through a second-story window. The other three were carried downstairs and outside.
It took 30 firefighters 14 minutes to rescue the family and extinguish the fire, according to the Charlotte Fire Department.
Officials said working smoke detectors alerted the Jacksons. The fire caused roughly $30,000 in damage to their home; the family dog did not survive.