Charlotte Observer Logo

Federal judge overturns NC same-sex marriage ban | Charlotte Observer

×
  • E-edition
  • Customer Service
  • Advertise
  • Newsletters

    • News
    • Local
    • Crime
    • Databases
    • Education
    • Election
    • Politics
    • Nation/World
    • Special Reports
    • Carolina College Bound
    • Corrections
    • Columnists
    • Retro Charlotte
    • Your Schools
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Sports
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Charlotte Hornets
    • That's Racin'
    • High Schools
    • College Sports
    • Charlotte Knights/MLB
    • Other Sports
    • Blogs & Columnists
    • Inside the Panthers
    • Inside the NBA
    • Prep Insiders
    • Scott Fowler
    • Tom Sorensen
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Politics
    • Elections
    • The North Carolina Influencer Series
    • RNC 2020
    • Business
    • Banking
    • Stocks Center
    • Top Workplaces
    • National Business
    • What's in Store
    • Development
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Living
    • Religion
    • Food & Drink
    • Health & Family
    • Home & Garden
    • CLT Style
    • Travel
    • Living Here Guide
    • Blogs & Columnists
    • I'll Bite
    • Kathleen Purvis
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Arts/Culture
    • Events
    • Movie News & Reviews
    • Restaurants
    • Music/Nightlife
    • Television
    • Books
    • Comics
    • Puzzles & Games
    • Rewards
    • Blogs & Columnists
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Opinion
    • Editorials
    • Influencers Opinion
    • Kevin Siers
    • Letters
    • Submit an Op-ed
    • Submit a Letter
    • Viewpoint
    • All Blogs & Columns
    • Blogs & Columnists
    • O-Pinion
    • You Write The Caption
    • Taylor Batten
    • Peter St. Onge
  • Celebrations
  • Obituaries
  • TV Listings

  • Public Notices
  • Cars
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Virtual Career Fair
  • Homes
  • Classifieds
  • Place an ad
  • Mobile & Apps

  • MomsCharlotte
  • Carolina Bride Magazine
  • South Park Magazine

Local

Federal judge overturns NC same-sex marriage ban

By Michael Gordon - mgordon@charlotteobserver.com

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 10, 2014 06:18 AM

Same-sex marriage became legal in North Carolina on Friday, with a federal judge ordering the state to immediately set aside its ban.

With a stroke of his pen in a Charlotte-based lawsuit, U.S. District Judge Max Cogburn of Asheville struck down the state’s laws restricting marriage to a man and a woman.

In doing so, he erased Amendment One, the country’s last voter-approved, constitutional marriage ban, and a cultural, spiritual and political lightning rod in North Carolina.

Digital Access for only $0.99

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

The attorney for Republican legislative leaders trying a last-ditch effort to preserve the ban said Friday night that an appeal is possible. But for now it appears limited to narrow grounds, and legal experts said it had little chance of success.

“We won!” said Charlotte lawyer Jake Sussman, lead attorney for a coalition of gay couples, religious leaders and groups who argued that the state bans violated their freedom of religion and equal protection under the law.

Gov. Pat McCrory said the state would comply. “The administration is moving forward with the execution of the court’s ruling and will continue to do so unless otherwise notified by the courts,” he said.

Mecklenburg Register of Deeds David Granberry said the marriage licenses would be made available to gay couples on Monday morning, only because he didn’t have permission to stay open late Friday.

Elsewhere, the wedding march had already begun. In Raleigh, the county’s register of deeds issued her first same-sex marriage license at 5:44 p.m., and a ceremony quickly followed.

In Asheville and Greensboro, the county register of deeds offices stayed open hours past closing time to handle the rush of same-sex couples.

And while Mecklenburg will lag behind other counties in issuing marriage licenses, gay couples and their supporters wasted little time celebrating.

Joey Hewell of Charlotte held up a copy of Cogburn’s order outside the register’s office.

“This is the official death certificate of Amendment One,” he said to a gathering crowd.

He and his partner of 12 years, Scott Lindsley, had spent three days outside the office, awaiting a decision. He said they will be back Monday to pick up their marriage license.

“It means the world,” he said. “There are so many great things that come along now and so many worries that go away.”

Cathy Fry and Joanne Marinaro, who have been together for 28 years, went to the courthouse for a license but drove home without one. Then their phones started buzzing. The ruling had come down.

“We could burst out in tears right now,” Fry said. “That’s how happy we are.”

Is it over?

It remained unclear Friday what will happen with two other North Carolina same-sex marriage cases in Greensboro.

Both are being heard by U.S. District Judge William Osteen, who held up a final ruling after lawyers for House Speaker Thom Tillis and Senate President Phil Berger asked to join the cases.

Cogburn, a former federal prosecutor appointed to the bench by President Barack Obama, did not wait.

First he denied the Republican leaders’ motion to intervene. Minutes later, he filed his final order, saying that the state’s ban violated the plaintiffs’ 14th Amendment rights of equal protection under law.

In doing so, the state’s newest marriage lawsuit, which was filed in April, became the first to trigger a decision.

“The speed of this is breathtaking. It makes the mind reel,” said Maxine Eichner, a UNC law professor who expected a ruling out of Greensboro first.

While Eichner acknowledged the possibility of appeal, she added, “I suspect the fight on this issue is over in North Carolina.”

Cogburn’s ruling capped off a 48-hour paper chase of motions and counter motions, arguments and rebuttals. Much of it was part of a Republican effort to delay what appeared inevitable Monday, when the Supreme Court announced it would not review lower court marriage rulings in five states.

One of those decisions, which struck down a same-sex marriage ban in Virginia, came from the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. It has jurisdiction over the Carolinas. The Supreme Court’s decision freed up the lawsuits that had been put on hold until the high court made its thinking known.

Yet Tillis, who’s running for the U.S. Senate, and Berger pushed on. Through their attorneys, conservative activist John Eastman and Robert Potter of Charlotte, they attempted to delay the judges’ decisions so their arguments could be heard.

Legal experts said they had little chance of success. Cogburn proved the experts right.

In a joint statement after the ruling, Berger and Tillis said they were defending the voters who passed Amendment One in 2012 with 61 percent approval.

Republican legislators, who put the measure on the ballot, scheduled the vote for the May primary two years ago. Turnout was 35 percent, and the percentage of registered voters who approved the amendment was the smallest in the South.

“While we recognize the tremendous passion on all sides of this issue, we promised to defend the will of North Carolina voters because they – not judges and not politicians – define marriage as between one man and one woman and placed that in our state constitution,” the statement from Berger and Tillis said.

“It is disappointing this decision was made without North Carolina’s law receiving its day in court, and we will continue to work to ensure the voice of the voters is heard.”

Eastman, a California law professor and the lawmakers’ lead attorney, told the Observer on Friday night that Tillis and Berger are considering their options and that the marriage fight is not over.

While the lawmakers’ can only appeal Cogburn’s refusal to allow them to join the Charlotte case, Eastman said they remain hopeful Osteen, a judicial appointment by President George W. Bush, will let them intervene. Osteen’s decision, which could come at any time, would strengthen the Republicans’ chances of appeal, Eastman said.

Carl Tobias, a University of Richmond law professor who has been following North Carolina’s marriage fight, said the legislators’ chances of success are diminished because they stayed out of the two-year fight until the end.

“The last-minute pleas are less persuasive,” Tobias said. “Courts do give some deference to elected officials. But it is difficult to see what they are doing here except wasting time, money and energy for partisan political purposes that will lead nowhere.”

In both Carolinas, the marriage issue has has been divisive. Many of the North Carolinians who voted in favor of Amendment One did so for spiritual reasons, believing that marriage is sacred and homosexuality a sin.

Yet polls show that attitudes here have become far more supportive of marriage equality, particularly among young voters – the generations to come.

At the Charlotte home of Fry and Marinaro, an impromptu celebration broke out on Friday night. The couple’s 23-year-old daughter, Kaley, drove down from Asheville to join in.

She sobbed at the prospect of attending her parents’ wedding.

“I’m overwhelmed,” she said, “and so joyful.”

Mark Price, Maria David, Eric Frazier, David Perlmutt and Hope Paasch contributed.

Related stories from Charlotte Observer

HOMEPAGE

Attorney celebrates anniversary, legal win

October 11, 2014 04:48 PM

HOMEPAGE

Mecklenburg same-sex marriage licenses start Monday

October 11, 2014 02:01 PM

HOMEPAGE

<b>Editorial:</b> Judge shatters another relic

October 10, 2014 07:19 PM

HOMEPAGE

<b>Map:</b> States with same-sex marriage

October 06, 2014 12:41 PM

HOMEPAGE

Read the filing from Tillis and Berger

October 10, 2014 12:06 PM

HOMEPAGE

SC Supreme Court stops marriage license

October 09, 2014 10:52 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Brehanna Daniels, first African-American woman to work on NASCAR pit crew

Happy New Year!

View More Video

Trending Stories

Professional ghost hunters to investigate haunting of USS North Carolina battleship

January 03, 2019 10:31 AM

Delayed tax refunds. Missed federal paychecks. The shutdown’s pain keeps growing.

January 03, 2019 04:31 PM

Here’s why tax breaks for Charlotte firms are rising

January 03, 2019 05:33 PM

‘The worst kind of nightmare.’ Dad says 2 of his kids died after Charlotte house fire

January 03, 2019 03:35 PM

These moments defined the Carolina Panthers in 2018. Some might tell the future, too.

January 04, 2019 09:47 AM

things to do

Read Next

Police investigate homicide behind Albemarle Road Recreation Center

Crime

Police investigate homicide behind Albemarle Road Recreation Center

WBTV

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 10:41 AM

Police are investigating a homicide in east Charlotte near Harris Boulevard and Lawyers Road, near the Albemarle Road Recreation Center. This is the third homicide in 2019.

KEEP READING

Digital Access for only $0.99

#ReadLocal

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE LOCAL

Johnson C. Smith University delays spring semester classes because of mold removal

Local

Johnson C. Smith University delays spring semester classes because of mold removal

January 04, 2019 07:43 AM
Mother and child carjacked by man in orthodontics office parking lot in Matthews

Local

Mother and child carjacked by man in orthodontics office parking lot in Matthews

January 04, 2019 06:06 AM
CMS resolution for January was wanding students for guns. Here’s the latest on that.

Education

CMS resolution for January was wanding students for guns. Here’s the latest on that.

January 04, 2019 07:26 AM
NC families lack key tool for picking schools this year. The state blames a hurricane.

Education

NC families lack key tool for picking schools this year. The state blames a hurricane.

January 03, 2019 11:06 AM
Fighting and blowing stuff up: Marines release gritty photos of 2018’s best moments

Local

Fighting and blowing stuff up: Marines release gritty photos of 2018’s best moments

January 03, 2019 03:20 PM
‘The worst kind of nightmare.’ Dad says 2 of his kids died after Charlotte house fire

Local

‘The worst kind of nightmare.’ Dad says 2 of his kids died after Charlotte house fire

January 03, 2019 03:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

Charlotte Observer App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Rewards
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
  • Photo Store
Advertising
  • Information
  • Place a Classified
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story