Local

Homes evacuated because of gas fire in Dilworth

Gas line fire in Dilworth

A gas line fire was caused by lightning strike on Rensselaer Place in Dilworth Sunday.
Up Next
A gas line fire was caused by lightning strike on Rensselaer Place in Dilworth Sunday.

The Charlotte Fire Department responded to a natural gas fire caused by a downed power line in Dilworth around 4 p.m. Sunday.

The Hazmat team responded, and the area on South Rensselaer Place is currently deemed unsafe.

The fire department tweeted at 6:14 p.m. that homes were being evacuated and that it would work with Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas until the area could be deemed safe.

Just before 8 p.m., the fire department said the incident was under control and residents were able to return home.

Tyler Fleming: 704-358-5355, @tyler_fleming96

  Comments