Upcoming library program: The Concord Public Library will hold several free events this summer.
▪ Storyteller Sharon Clarke will perform at 3 p.m. July 22 in the Auditorium. Stories and songs will abound as storyteller Sharon Clarke captivates audiences with her imaginative performance. Details: 704-920-2058.
▪ Every Hero Has a Story: Heroes in the Stars will be held at 3 p.m. July 23 in the Children's Program Room. Kids ages 5-12 will learn about constellations and the legends associated with them in this exploration of how different cultures view the night sky. Books, songs, activities and a craft are included. Details? 704-920-2058.
▪ A Teen Advisory Board informational meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. July 23 in the Meeting Room. Teens who want to make their voice heard in the community, develop leadership skills and have fun making new friends are invited. Details: 704-920-2066.
▪ The Comic Collective teen book club will meet at 4 p.m. July 25 in the Meeting Room. Participants will debate who's the best character in the Superhero Tournament of Champions. For details, contact Brandon at 704-920-2052.
▪ Children ages 8-10 are invited to Awesome Pageturners at 4:30 p.m. July 28 in the Children's Program Room. Superhero books from Aquaman to Wolverine will be featured, with games and discussions about superhero books. To register, call 704-920-2058.
▪ Gina Guthrie of Bocca Felice will discuss the health benefits of chocolate and prepare some delicious recipes at Escape the Ordinary: Chocolate Discoveries at 6 p.m. July 28 in the Auditorium. Space is limited. To register, call 704-920-2054.
▪ Teens in grades 6-12 will make Altoid Can Speakers at 4 p.m. July 29 in the Meeting Room. Discover how to transform an Altoid can and a pair of earbuds into a speaker for your phone, iPod or MP3 player. For information, call 704-920-2053.
▪ Children ages 5-12 can attend Goin' to the Dogs/Dog Heroes Past and Present at 3 p.m. July 30 in the Children's Program Room. Participants will learn about dog heroes throughout history and in present day, play games and make a dog pencil holder out of clothespins. Details: 704-920-2058.
▪ Meet comic artist Chris Kemple at 4 p.m. July 30 in the Auditorium. The creator of comic book, "Red Vengeance," Kemple will discuss working int he comic book industry and the creative process. Details: 704-920-2054.
▪ Tweens ages 10-12 are invited to BeTWEEN the Lines at 4:30 p.m. July 30 in the Children's Program Room. Superhero books from Aquaman to Wolverine will be featured, with games and discussions about superhero books. To register, call 704-920-2058.
Free dental clinic: Southside Baptist Church will sponsor a free dental clinic for the Highland Park community of Concord 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 25. Dental professionals are needed to volunteer their services in a four-hour shift.
The program will feature the North Carolina Baptist Men's mobile dental unit, which provides free dental care to people without insurance, the impoverished, the homeless, elderly and others in need. Treatments include fillings and extractions.
To volunteer or for more information, contact Joey Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-796-9571.
Compiled by Leigh Pressley