Robin Mattice was baking Christmas cookies with her mother on Dec. 20 when flames erupted in the apartment above theirs in a home at 109 S. Maple St.
The young mother in the apartment where the fire started bounded down the steps and pleaded for help.
The women got an extinguisher out of the young mother's car, and Mattice used it to douse the flames.
Mattice's mom, Kimberly Shirley, was visiting that day to help her daughter bake the cookies. Shirley opened windows in the upstairs apartment to draw out the smoke after the fire was extinguished. They also called 911.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
For their quick actions in keeping the fire from spreading, Mattice and Shirley received "certificates of bravery" from Mooresville Fire Chief Wes Greene at last week's Mooresville Board of Commissioners meeting.
"They went beyond the call of duty in taking care of their fellow citizens," Greene said in addressing the board.
Mattice, 22, and her mom had the fire out before firefighters arrived, Greene said.
No one in the three apartments in the home was injured, including the 10-month-old son of the woman in whose kitchen the fire started, Greene said. The residents are living elsewhere until damage from the smoke and flames is repaired, he said.
The fire was started by grease left unattended in a pan on the stove, Greene said. The fire was ruled an accident.
The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the home, which is owned by former Mooresville commissioner Mitchell Mack, the chief said.
Mattice and Shirley didn't address the meeting when they received their awards. They didn't have to, as the standing ovation from the audience said it all