A woman whose electrical power was shut off recently escaped injury this morning when fire caused by candles and a generator destroyed her home in northeast Charlotte.
The fire was reported about 6:40 a.m. at a house in the 1400 block of Meadow Lane, off East Sugar Creek Road, a few blocks from Garinger High School.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Charlotte fire officials say the blaze destroyed the 1,600-square-foot house. They say the blaze began in a bedroom, and the house, worth $100,000, was a total loss.
The American Red Cross is providing shelter for the woman who was left homeless.