WBTV News

Gastonia man burned in grease fire

Authorities respond to an early Friday fire in a Gastonia apartment.
Authorities respond to an early Friday fire in a Gastonia apartment. WBYV

A Gastonia man suffered serious burns after he attempted to throw water on a grease fire early Friday, fueling the flames.

Officials said the man was cooking at his apartment in The Park Apartment Homes on Pembrook Road around 2:25 a.m. when the fire broke out. The man attempted to put the fire out by using water.

The flames burned his arms and face, leaving him with second- and third-degree burns.

He was taken to the hospital in serious condition and is expected to survive. The fire chief believes the man will be taken to a burn center in Chapel Hill or Winston-Salem.

No other units in the apartment complex were damaged.

  Comments