Crime & Courts

Police arrest man suspected of fatally shooting protester in Charlotte

Police have charged a Charlotte man with murder in the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Justin Carr during protests in uptown on Wednesday night.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police identified the arrested suspect as Rayquan Borum, 21. Police Chief Kerr Putney announced the arrest Friday during a press conference held by Charlotte government officials.

Borum was taken into custody around 7 a.m. Friday without incident, police said in a statement.

Officials said Borum has been interviewed by homicide detectives. CMPD’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team made the arrest.

Borum previously served about three months in prison on larceny and breaking and entering charges from Mecklenburg County and was released in 2012, records show. He also faces at least two pending weapons charges in Cabarrus County.

The arrest came hours after a third day of demonstrations ended in Charlotte, with officials saying they’re prepared for more late-night protest activity this weekend. Hundreds of people have gathered in Charlotte’s city streets in recent days to protest the killing of Keith Lamont Scott.

Scott was fatally shot by a CMPD officer on Tuesday as he waited in an apartment complex parking lot for his son to get off the school bus. The officer who killed Scott, Brentley Vinson, has been placed on administrative leave. North Carolina’s top law enforcement agency, the State Bureau of Investigation, has launched an independent investigation.

During Thursday’s protests over Scott’s death, participants paused marching and chanting briefly for a moment of silence in Carr’s memory. A small memorial with candles was set up for Carr.

The memorial was near the Omni Hotel, at the approximate spot where officials say Carr was shot Wednesday night around 8:30. He died Thursday afternoon from a gunshot wound at Carolinas Medical Center.

Researcher Maria David contributed.

Anna Douglas: 202-383-6012, @ADouglasNews

Related stories from Charlotte Observer