Charlotte-Mecklenburg police arrested seven teenagers in connection with five robberies since last week.
The crime spree started late Aug. 19, police said, when three males entered the Laundromat at 6307 The Plaza and robbed a personsomeone. The suspects left in a tan Buick later determined to have been stolen Aug. 1 from the 7800 block of Causeway Drive, off East Independence Boulevard.
This is what happened next, according to police:
▪ About 3 a.m. Saturday, three males robbed the Jimmy John’s sub shop at 350 E. McCullough Drive, off Ikea Boulevard and North Tryon Street.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Early Sunday, four assailants hit and robbed a person in the 700 block of East Arrowhead Road.
▪ Later Sunday morning, three robbers approached employees at a business in the 3400 block of Tuckaseegee Road as they were locking up. One of the workers was armed and tried to draw a weapon in self-defense when he was hit and had his gun taken, police said.
▪ That afternoon, two people were walking from their gold Mercedes-Benz to their home in the 7400 block of Shiras Court, off South Tryon Street, when they were robbed by two assailants who then stole the car.
▪ On Monday, police arrested A’jare Dean, 16, after they spotted him in the Mercedes and he tried to run from them. Police said they took a gun from Dean that had been stolen from the worker at the Tuckaseegee Road business.
▪ Later Monday, police responded to an exchange of gunfire in the 1800 block of Griers Grove Road, off Beatties Ford Road. Numerous shots came from a vehicle and struck an apartment, police said. No one was injured.
Police soon found the car – the tan Buick also involved in the Aug. 19 robbery – and tried to stop it. A chase followed before four people inside the car got out and ran. Officers, with the help of a police helicopter, soon found and arrested Shahquan Cureton, 18, Dequan Cureton, 17, Devonte Crawford, 18, and Te’asia Oliphant, 19. A stolen gun was recovered.
The Curetons were charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, discharging a weapon into occupied property, resisting a public officer and felony conspiracy.
Crawford and Oliphant were charged with discharging a weapon into occupied property, resisting a public officer and felony conspiracy.
Dean was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a stolen firearm, carrying a concealed weapon and resisting a public officer.
Also arrested were Tryshon Herron, 16, and Ricky Bennett, 17, each on charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Anyone with information about the cases or suspects is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.