Great-aunt arrested on gun charge after Rock Hill 2-year-old shoots grandmother


The great-aunt of the 2-year-old Rock Hill boy who picked up her .357-caliber revolver and accidentally shot his grandmother was charged Thursday with unlawful carrying of a handgun.

Daisha Adawn Ervin, 24, of Greenville, who works for the state Department of Corrections in its youth offender program as a supervision officer, appeared before a judge Thursday afternoon for a bond hearing.

“It was an honest mistake,” Ervin told the judge. “It is not what the media has portrayed. I am not the person the media has portrayed at all. That’s not me.”

A judge set bond at $3,000 for the misdemeanor charge, which carries penalties upon conviction of up to one year in jail or a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

According to the State Law Enforcement Division, this is the first time Evans has been charged with a crime in South Carolina.

The child’s grandmother, who has not been named, was injured in the Sunday shooting but later released from a hospital.

Police allege that Ervin stored the handgun in a pouch on the back of the front passenger seat of her 2010 Chevy Camaro.

“This placement resulted in a 2-year-old rear passenger finding the revolver and firing a shot through the front passenger seat,” striking the child’s grandmother, the arrest warrant states.

State law requires a gun be stored in an enclosed compartment while being transported in a car.

Ervin legally owns the gun and was driving at the time the child found it and shot his grandmother, the warrant states.

Ervin is an intensive supervision officer with the S.C. department of Corrections division of young offender

The grandmother of the 2-year-old was shot in the back Sunday as the vehicle traveled through the intersection of Ogden Road and Heckle Boulevard in southern Rock Hill.

Rock Hill Police Detective Brad Sims told Municipal Judge Tonesha Lonergan Thursday that Ervin “has shown remorse” and “fully cooperated with the investigation.”

The charge carries up to one year in prison, Lonergan told Ervin.

Ervin did not qualify for a public defender because of her income.

Ervin told police on Sunday that, after hearing the gunshot, she turned around and saw her great-nephew holding her handgun, crying. The boy was not injured.

Before the shooting, the boy’s relatives had picked him up from another family member’s home, according to police. After the gun was fired, the victim’s sister drove to a family member’s home on nearby Stanley Drive, where they called police.

Herald reporters Bristow Marchant and Andrew Dys contributed.

Related stories from Charlotte Observer