Fire investigators said a crew using “improper equipment” caused increased carbon monoxide levels that forced the evacuation of a Charlotte hotel Monday evening.
No injuries were reported in the incident at the Sleep Inn on Banner Elk Drive. That is off Sunset Road, a short distance west of Interstate 77.
Firefighters, responding to an alarm, found that a sprinkler had activated on the fourth floor of the hotel due to high temperatures inside a room. In addition, investigators said, the carbon monoxide detector showed a high reading.
A crew of 23 firefighters set up large fans to remove the carbon monoxide and drained water from flooring near the sprinkler.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Investigators said a crew that was fumigating the hotel used equipment that caused carbon monoxide to form and raised temperatures in a room. Some of the rooms at the hotel suffered water damage, fire officials said.