Crime & Courts

Motorist charged in Nov. 8 Concord motorcycle wreck

A motorist who had been sought by authorities in connection with a Nov. 8 wreck that left a motorcyclist critically injured surrendered to officials Monday night, Concord police said.

The man told police he left the scene of the wreck because he was driving without a license and didn’t want his child, who was in the car, to see his father arrested by officers.

Concord police said Lawrence William Zerbe, 52, of Reading, Pa., turned himself in Monday evening, accompanied by an attorney. Zerbe was charged with felony hit and run and driving while license revoked.

Investigators said Zerbe also was wanted by authorities in Columbus County in a 2005 case on charges of speeding and driving while license revoked.

The wreck took place about 11:45 a.m. Nov. 8 on Weddington Road near Rock Hill Church Road. Police said a vehicle struck a motorcycle and a car that had stopped at the intersection. The vehicle responsible for the wreck left the scene, police said.

Concord police Major Wendell Rummage said Zerbe did not stop at the wreck scene because “his privilege to drive in North Carolina had been revoked.” And, Rummage added, Zerbe reported “having his child in the car with him at the time of the crash and did not want the child to see him be arrested by police.”

The driver of the motorcycle, 52-year-old John Francis Cassidy of Raleigh, remains in critical condition at Carolinas Medical Center, according to police.

  Comments