Firefighters are reminding residents to be vigilant about cooking with grease after a Kannapolis tenant was injured in an apparent grease fire Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at an apartment unit on Inspired Way at 3:38 p.m., officials said. By the time crews arrived at 3:42 p.m., they could find no visible signs of fire.
The fire had been extinguished, authorities say, but one resident was injured and treated by Cabarrus County EMS for minor burns to several areas of their body.
The resident’s gender and age were not released.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Firefighters encourage residents to be watchful when cooking with grease. If a small fire erupts, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the burner, they say.
To keep the fire from restarting, do not uncover the pan until it has had time to cool. Do not use water or flour on a grease fire, as these agents will cause the fire to spread. Do not try to remove the pan from the stove or the residence as this may cause injury. If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire, get out and call 911.