I wasn’t invited to speak at last week’s mayoral debate – perhaps because I’m not running – but I wanted to share my vision for running the city.
New leadership means that changes need to be made, and I just happen to have a list:
▪ People who come in and try to steal our stuff get in trouble. That means we charge the legislature with Grand Theft Airport.
▪ Somehow, we manage to get a sign to the airport erected on Interstate 77, even if means taking down one of the signs pointing to the Farmers Market.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
▪ Clocks in every concourse.
When I’m mayor, we’re going to hire a physically imposing guy like Steve Smith Jr. to go have a chat with Chiquita, which blew town owing us $1million.
▪ No more meetings on Friday afternoons before a three-day weekend.
▪ We find ways to get more Gamecock games in Charlotte. Those fans are wild.
▪ If the Panthers make the playoffs, we buy them another escalator.
▪ No more crowing about how great the ridership numbers are for the trolley until we start charging people to board it.
▪ No more pretending that there won’t be changes at Belk after it gets gobbled up by a New York private equity firm.
▪ We hire a physically imposing guy, maybe Steve Smith Jr., to go have a chat with Chiquita, which blew town owing us $1 million.
▪ Ten-dollar cap on beer prices at the arena.
▪ We figure out a way to pay for driver’s education in high schools. Seems like an investment that pays off for decades.
▪ If you complain about the heat in the summer, you can’t complain about the cold in the winter. You have to pick one.
▪ Any candidate that uses a robot to call you up and tell you how to vote should be instantly disqualified.
▪ Uptown panhandlers must come up with something more original than needing bus fare to get to a job interview.
▪ There will now be a once-a-week limit on meetings sponsored by the marketing department about “what the millennials want.”
▪ To halt the slide in the precious metals markets, the price of an ounce of gold will be now be pegged to the price of an ounce of movie popcorn.
▪ Banned: Styrofoam packing peanuts.
▪ They can put any sign they want on the tailgate, but if a rock flies off a truck and cracks your windshield, the truck’s owner is responsible for the damage.
▪ In order to get a high school diploma, a student must go two sentences without using the word “like.”
▪ When erecting a major building, you have to put up a sign with a drawing of what it will look like.
▪ Any business answering its phone with a dozen voice-mail options is not allowed to say, “Your call is important to us.”