Thank you for joining our focus group.
Let’s test useful reactions that can reverse the negative tide. We can start by blaming others.
As you know, we are in a bit of a tiff with the rest of the civilized world. We need to make it clear to them that we are not the problem, and they are.
Our goal is to do this with elegance and restraint, so they realize we’re the kind of reasonable people with whom others would like to do business, not a bunch of drooling rubes clinging to vestiges of fading social strictures.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
We need to try out our strategic approach. How do some of these reactions sound to you?
▪ This is all the fault of the sports elites and liberal media.
▪ And the city of Charlotte, which has no business outlawing discrimination.
▪ This is nothing more than political correctness BS.
▪ Move the game to New Orleans? Louisiana is as stubborn as we are.
▪ Seems like the NBA just doesn’t get it.
▪ Nor do the Hornets, Michael Jordan or Mike Krzyzewski.
▪ Nor Apple, General Electric, IBM, IKEA, Levi Strauss, Marriott, Nike, PayPal, Red Hat, American Airlines, United Airlines, Rowe Furniture, Lexington Home Brands, the ACC, the NCAA, the PGA, the CIAA, Bruce Springsteen or Cirque du Soleil.
▪ Nor Bank of America, Bayer, the Carolina Hurricanes, ESPN, Gogobot, Twitter, Etsy, Facebook, Cisco, Citrix, Google, Airbnb, Intel, Oracle, Red Hat, Tumblr, Orbitz, LinkedIn, Braintree, Microsoft, Ingersoll Rand, Thrive Capital, Liftopia, Biogen, Dow Chemical, Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Lionsgate, Davidson College, Duke University, Elon University, Wake Forest University or the municipal government of New York City.
▪ This is an insult to our entire state.
▪ Last year, the NBA started efforts to make the games more family-friendly, and now they want to force men and women into the same bathrooms.
▪ Oh, the NBA won’t support us with its All-Star Game, but it will allow preseason games in China, where terrible things happen to people.
▪ It is simply undemocratic to allow the selective corporate elite to impose their views on us.
▪ This law only applies to government facilities. Companies can make their own workplace policies.
▪ This is all the doing of left-wing special interest groups.
▪ Tens of millions of dollars in lost business is a small price to pay for keeping a transgender person out of the wrong bathroom.
▪ Hey, maybe we were too hasty with that bill, should repeal it for now and give the matter further consideration.
Stop. Never mind that last one.
Remember, the goal is for us to appear reasonable.