Despite repeated development attempts by outsidersThe Cherry community maintains much of its original feel. An excerpt from a 1990 Observer story by Dianne Whitacre:
“Cherry began as a subdivision in 1891 created by John and Mary Myers, who would go on to develop Myers Park. The Myers family envisioned it as a neighborhood where black families could own their own homes. A century later, Cherry is shrinking. Presbyterian Hospital and the medical office buildings that have grown up around the hospital have edged into the neighborhood. Businesses on Kings Drive have bought houses and replaced them with parking lots. Baxter Street is a busy shortcut through the heart of the neighborhood, carrying traffic from Kenilworth Avenue to Queens Road. Nearby, Midtown Square, Central Piedmont Community College and Independence Boulevard are expanding. The bright skyline of uptown is just a mile away, making Cherry one of the city's closest-in neighborhoods.”
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.