The school at the corner of Monroe Road and Commonwealth is now Oakhurst STEM Academy School.
+ + + + + + +
The $500,000 fire robbed the school system of 25 badly needed classrooms, several administrative and auxiliary rooms and an auditorium.
Read more from The Charlotte Observer, November 1, 1958:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
“The fire was discovered about 2:45 a.m. by D.N. Cox, a milk truck driver. He called in the alarm from a nearby house. In a matter of minutes six Mecklenburg volunteer fire units and two trucks from the city fire department were on the scene. But the old brick veneer building was already an inferno. Firemen reported that the fire appeared to have originated in the offices or the auditorium.
“The building was erected in 1925. An addition was added in 1940 and another since then. Escaping the fire were the agriculture building and the gymnasium on the east of the main section and the cafeteria behind it. These facilities will probably been pressed into service as temporary classrooms, school officials indicated.
“One of the major losses in addition to the building were school records and equipment. Superintendent J.L. Wilson pointed out that desks will have to be found for use in the temporary classrooms.
“While the Oakhurst ruins still smoldered Wilson dispatched a county school truck to Raleigh for textbooks to replace those burned. The truck was back in Charlotte with its cargo late Friday afternoon.”