Charlotte Shooting Protests

Charlotte news outlets seek more video from fatal police shooting

A frame from a police SUV dashboard camera shows Keith Lamont Scott backing away from his SUV just before being shot by police.
A frame from a police SUV dashboard camera shows Keith Lamont Scott backing away from his SUV just before being shot by police.

A request for more police video – and any surveillance camera footage – from the scene of last week’s fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott has been made by a group of news organizations, including The Charlotte Observer.

A letter from Jonathan Buchan of the law firm Essex Richards to police Chief Kerr Putney and Charlotte Interim City Manager Ron Kimble this week says that the video should be considered public record under current law.

The Observer organized a coalition that includes the Associated Press, CNN, WBTV (Channel 3), WSOC (Channel 9), WCNC (Channel 36), ABC News, WFAE-FM (NPR, 90.7) and The News & Observer of Raleigh.

“Any citizen had a right to be standing in that parking lot, observing what was happening on the day that Keith Lamont Scott was shot,” said Rick Thames, executive editor of the Observer. “Those cameras were there expressly to record what happened. It’s time that public had the opportunity to see all that was recorded.”

On Saturday, Putney released video footage from the dash camera of a police SUV and the body camera of one officer showing the shooting scene when Scott was killed by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer.

Putney said Saturday there was more video that would probably be released later but in the interest of transparency, he wanted to make public the relevant moments of the shooting.

“A matter of critical public interest is whether the additional video provides any evidence of Mr. Scott’s gun and its location,” Buchan wrote.

Mark Washburn: 704-358-5007, @WashburnChObs

  Comments