South Carolina

Secessionist group plans ‘Operation Retaliation’ display of Confederate flag

Associated Press

The South Carolina Secessionist Party is making plans for something it’s calling “Operation Retaliation.”

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported Sunday that Chairman James Bessenger says the party is looking for help securing large Confederate battle flags that it can display along major interstates and in cities and towns.

Bessenger says his organization is looking for land on which to fly the flags around the state and has gotten several offers.

Earlier this month, several hundred people gathered at a rally and temporarily raised a Confederate flag at the State House. The event marked the one-year anniversary of the day the Confederate battle flag was furled and sent to a museum.

The Heritage Act, which the Legislature amended on July 9, 2015, in order to remove the Confederate flag from the State House grounds — a mandate carried out on a sunny morning one year ago Sunday, in a solemn seven-minute ceremony attended by 10,

  Comments