Clemson coach Dabo Swinney breaks down 2019 recruiting class
The Clemson football program was brought into the FBI basketball trial last week when men’s basketball assistant coach Steve Smith was caught on wiretap discussing the recruitment of Zion Williamson, as well as Dabo Swinney’s program.
Smith said of the football program, “That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” according to trial updates from Matt Norlander of CBSSports.
Swinney shared his reaction to learning of those comments during a “Prowl and Growl” event in Florence on Thursday.
“Just disappointed because I know how we run our program. I’m very proud of how we run our program. We’ve always been a program committed to doing things the right way,” Swinney said. “And we always will be.”
Swinney has not heard from Smith since the comments were played, but Clemson men’s basketball coach Brad Brownell reached out and apologized, according to Swinney.
“Brad certainly did and I appreciated that,” Swinney said.
Clemson men’s basketball assistant coaches were scheduled to get new contracts at last week’s board of trustees meeting, but those were put on hold after Smith’s comments.
Clemson’s assistants are still working until the new deals can be approved at the next board meeting.
“Like all of us, they’re at-will employees,” Radakovich said.
As for Smith, Radakovich said: “We’re still working through that.” He does not have a definitive timetable for when the situation will be resolved.
“Hopefully sooner rather than later,” Radakovich said. “ I don’t want to put a timeline on it because there’s factors that we’re working through right now. But believe me, I’d like it to be sooner rather than later.”
Radakovich confirmed that he has met with Smith, “but it’s a personnel matter and I’m really not going to go any further on that.”