Community School of Davidson’s Malia Ellington won the N.C. 1A girls’ cross country championship at the Ivey Redmon Sports Complex in Kernersville on Saturday.
Ellington ran a time of 19 minutes, 9.61 seconds to easily beat Robbinsville’s Shawnda Martin (19:31.89). She won her second straight N.C. High School Athletic Association state championship. Ellington also helped her school win the girls’ state championship, well ahead of second place Bishop McGuinness.
Pine Lake Prep was fourth.
• In 4A, Raleigh Broughton’s Jeremy Brown (15:50.03) won the boys’ state title. No Observer-area runners finished in the top 10. Broughton also won the team title. Myers Park finished ninth.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Green Hope’s Elly Henes (18:02.47) won the girls’ 4A race. Providence’s Grace Sullivan (18:25.72) was fifth and Myers Park’s Mary Prouty (18:35.33) was seventh. Green Hope won the team title. Myers Park was second, Providence was third and Ardrey Kell seventh in a strong showing for Mecklenburg County girls’ teams.
• Weddington’s boys finished second in the 3A championships, less than a second in combined time behind champion Raleigh Cardinal Gibbons. North Lincoln finished seventh and Marvin Ridge eighth. East Henderson’s Tanis Baldwin ran a time of 15:25.83 to win the individual race by more than 30 seconds over Carson’s Zachary Marchinko (16:01.91). Weddington’s Mitchell Resor (16:03.44) was third. Hickory Ridge’s Alex Cornwell was fifth and Weddington’s Ryan Hobbs was eighth.
• Marvin Ridge’s girls finished third in the 3A championships. Raleigh Cardinal Gibbons won with Chapel Hill finishing second. Weddington finished sixth, North Lincoln seventh and Cuthbertson 10th. Asheville Reynolds’ Anna Vess (18:44.81) won the individual title over Cardinal Gibbons’ Sophie Ebihara (18:47.97). Marvin Ridge’s Lexi King was fourth and Cuthbertson’s Alexia Noch.
• Central Academy finished second in 2A to boys’ champion N.C. Science & Math. Lake Norman Charter finished sixth. N.C. Science & Math’s Nicholas Walker (16:16.45) won the individual race. Central Academy’s Elijah Inuwa was third. Josh Weirich of Central Academy was sixth. Teammate Alec Merrill was 10th.
• Carrboro won the 2A girls’ title. East Lincoln was second. Lake Norman Charter finished fourth. Carrboro’s Maysa Araba and Helen Morken finished 1-2 in the individual race. Mount Pleasant’s Brittany Stanley was third. Lake Norman Charter’s Maria Howlett was sixth and East Lincoln’s Frances Massey was eighth.
• Mitchell’s Zach Boone won the boys’ 1A title in 16:08.58. Bishop McGuinness won the team title. Community School of Davidson finished fourth and Lincoln Charter was ninth.