High School Sports

A.L. Brown completes win against West Charlotte

A 72-hour delay didn’t dim AL. Brown’s sense of urgency.

The Wonders maintained their momentum and a chance at the postseason with a 42-14 win against West Charlotte in a MECKA 4A game at Jack Martin Stadium. The victory, which completed a game suspended on Friday due to weather, broke a fourth-place tie and put A.L. Brown (5-5, 3-3) in position to earn a playoff spot with a win against Hopewell on Friday.

“We needed to win tonight,” A.L. Brown coach Mike Newsome said. “We’ve got to win them out. We can’t afford any losses from here on out and that includes the playoffs.”

The Wonders, who led 28-7 Friday when play was halted, didn’t show any ill effects. A.L. Brown dominated on both sides of the ball and didn’t allow West Charlotte an opportunity to mount a second-half rally.

“I was real pleased with our guys,” Newsome said. “We were a little unfocused on the bur ride back and I was really disappointed with how some of the kids acted knowing we still had a half to play.

Sandon McCoy, who ran for a pair of touchdowns in the first half on Friday, added a 19-yarder in the third quarter to put the Wonders ahead 42-7. Brylan Weaks got the second half scoring underway by blocking a West Charlotte punt in the end zone and falling on the ball for a touchdown and 35-7 bulge.

“I was really pleased with the way they handled the situation playing on Monday night,” Newsome said. “The team that handles that the right way is usually the team that’s going to be successful and I thought our kids came ready to play and focused and firing on all cylinders.”

The loss closed a somber week for West Charlotte (4-6, 2-4), which has lost two straight without coach Mo Collins, who died Oct. 26 and was buried on Saturday. The Lions had a few bright spots, namely running back Pralowe Grier, who ran for 95 yards on eight second-half carries, including a 64-yarder that resulted in Ron Gant’s 5-yard keeper for a score.

“It was just a real long halftime,” interim coach Drew Hackett said. “It was probably the longest halftime in the state. We just tried to execute to the best of our ability tonight. It didn’t show up on the scoreboard, but I thought our kids fought hard.”

Related stories from Charlotte Observer