Kyle Busch wins truck race at Charlotte Motor Speedway

The only thing able to slow Kyle Busch on Friday night was the caution flag.

And even then, he still won the race.

Busch dominated the N.C. Education Lottery 200 and had a sizable lead at the start of the last lap when a wreck erupted off Turn 4 to bring out the caution flag.

With the field frozen, Busch had secured his sixth NASCAR Truck series win at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“This truck was just awesome tonight. It showed in qualifying and showed in the race,” said Busch, who earned his 38th series victory. “My guys worked really hard over the winter and built some great trucks.

“My restarts were really good. I think the biggest thing was timing on the restarts, getting everything right, trying to see what the guys around me were trying to do.”

Series points leader Matt Crafton finished second, Brad Keselowski was third, John Wes Townley was a career-best fourth and Timothy Peters was fifth. Crafton holds an 11-point lead over Peters.

Busch led 130 of the 134 laps, and no one really could compete with him on the track, particularly on restarts.

“It was not a win and that’s what we were hoping for. Kyle had the fastest truck by far and did a great job executing,” Keselowski said.

“We were still coming with (new) tires there at the end, but there was so many cautions that by the time we got going, we could only get to third.”

While Townley enjoyed his strong finish, it came at the expense of some hard feelings with several other drivers. Townley triggered a wreck on Lap 105 when he ran Ryan Blaney into the infield grass.

“I’m really happy with the finish,” Townley said. “Ryan was a little upset, but the thing about it is, it’s racing and I heard ‘inside’ (from his spotter) but unfortunately it was too late.”

The race was slowed nine times by caution for 47 laps.

Darrell Wallace Jr. was involved in a three-truck wreck on Lap 93 and upon exiting his truck, he appeared to collapse in the arms of his crew members. He was taken to the infield care center but eventually released.

“I don’t know who it was come up in front of me, and suddenly I’m in the fence and then the next thing you know I lose oxygen and now I’m here in the infield care center,” he said. “But we’re all good.”

Related stories from Charlotte Observer