• That was a classy gesture by the Magic to flash a scoreboard thank-you to Steve Clifford, Patrick Ewing and Josh McRoberts for past service in Orlando. You don’t see that so often in the NBA.
• The Magic seemed in disbelief that McRoberts could make a 3; it made no effort to guard him outside the arc. Maybe he never made one in practice the time he spent in Central Florida?
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• As much attention as McRoberts gets for his passing – and that’s justified – center Al Jefferson is pretty effective, too. He’s become quite adept at feeding Michael Kidd-Gilchrist on diagonal cuts to the rim.
• Reserve shooting guard Gary Neal missed his second straight game, resting ankle and knee injuries. Clifford wants to treat these injuries conservatively – get Neal as close as possible to 100 percent – but it’s possible Neal will practice Sunday and play Monday vs. the Washington Wizards.
He felt well enough to participate some at shootaround Friday, which Clifford saw as a promising sign.
• Considering what a dreadful season the Magic is having, home attendance has held up better than I’d expect.