• That was a classy gesture by the Magic to flash a scoreboard thank-you to Steve Clifford, Patrick Ewing and Josh McRoberts for past service in Orlando. You don’t see that so often in the NBA.
• The Magic seemed in disbelief that McRoberts could make a 3; it made no effort to guard him outside the arc. Maybe he never made one in practice the time he spent in Central Florida?
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
• As much attention as McRoberts gets for his passing – and that’s justified – center Al Jefferson is pretty effective, too. He’s become quite adept at feeding Michael Kidd-Gilchrist on diagonal cuts to the rim.
• Reserve shooting guard Gary Neal missed his second straight game, resting ankle and knee injuries. Clifford wants to treat these injuries conservatively – get Neal as close as possible to 100 percent – but it’s possible Neal will practice Sunday and play Monday vs. the Washington Wizards.
He felt well enough to participate some at shootaround Friday, which Clifford saw as a promising sign.
• Considering what a dreadful season the Magic is having, home attendance has held up better than I’d expect.