• Funny line from Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer when asked his reaction to point guard Jeff Teague being named Eastern Conference Player of the Week: “I said, ‘Congratulations. Now get back on defense.’ ”
• That Budenholzer chose to rest some starters with nagging injuries was no surprise. The eighth-seeded Hawks can’t move up in the standings and Budenholzer’s former boss, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, always has believed in resting veterans.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
• Not that anyone would expect a Monday night Hawks-Bobcats game to be a big draw in Atlanta, but attendance was so sparse they could have curtained off the upper deck at Philips Arena.
• Bobcats coach Steve Clifford was asked before the game why he felt it was important that Kemba Walker play in at least one of the team’s final four regular-season games. Clifford said a player used to playing as many minutes as Walker can fall out of rhythm by missing four or five days of activity.
• A little kid in the front row was nearly run over in a scramble for a loose ball. The kid bounced back quickly and enjoyed the fist-pumps and shoes he got from the players afterward.