Observations from Tuesday’s minicamp practice, the first of three this week:
▪ Running back Jonathan Stewart, who was limited last week by a foot injury, was heavily involved in the early portions of team drills Tuesday and looked good running and cutting.
▪ Defensive end Kony Ealy got a hand on an option pitch from Cam Newton to receiver Brenton Bersin, who was still able to bring in the deflected pitch and get short yardage down the sideline.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Backup quarterback Derek Anderson couldn’t connect with running back Fozzy Whittaker, who’d worked open behind Ben Jacobs on a wheel route deep down the sideline.
▪ Anderson came back on the next two plays to find Cameron Artis-Payne and Brandon Wegher for nice gains on screen plays.
▪ Reserve safety Trenton Robinson appeared to intercept third-team quarterback Joe Webb late in the 11-on-11 drills. But tight end Greg Olsen, watching from the sideline, claimed Robinson trapped it. While defenders celebrated, Olsen yelled: “Go have a parade for a pass breakup. It’s the NFL, the ball can’t move.”
▪ Receiver Devin Funchess was the only absentee Tuesday, dealing with an illness.
▪ Offensive tackle Donald Hawkins was carted off midway through practice because of heat exhaustion. Hawkins has been playing well in a backup left tackle role, Rivera said.
▪ Bersin rolled his left ankle going out for a pass during team drills. He was checked by head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion on the side and did not return.
▪ Offensive tackle David Foucault is dealing with a calf injury and will not participate in this week’s minicamp. He rode the exercise bike Tuesday.
▪ Tight end Ed Dickson dropped a short out pass from Newton with Kurt Coleman near him.
▪ Receiver Kevin Norwood made a nice catch over the middle, going up for a hot pass from Newton.
▪ Rookie tight end Beau Sandland made a great one-handed grab for a touchdown in a goal-line situation. Sandland hauled in Anderson pass against cornerback Teddy Williams.
▪ Receiver Damiere Byrd caught a 50-yard pass from Newton after he slipped behind rookie James Bradberry for the score.