• French-Canadian offensive lineman David Foucault broke the team down with some brief comments in his native language before practice. While some players weren’t sure what Foucault said, Jonathan Stewart had an idea.
“He said une, deux, trois, which means 1, 2, 3 ... Panthers.”
• Cornerback Josh Thomas got into a shouting match with receiver Marcus Lucas. Thomas broke up a pass intended for Lucas during one-on-one drills and told Lucas to stop talking trash about him.
• Linebacker Denicos Allen looked good in blitz drills. He slid inside powerful tight end Brandon Williams to avoid getting blocked.
• Cornerback Josh Norman picked off Cam Newton during 7-on-7 drills on a pass intended for tight end Ed Dickson. Norman worked with the first-team defense during team drills.
• Newton had good placement on a pass to Kelvin Benjamin. On a crossing route, Benjamin caught a Newton pass over Melvin White as Greg Hardy also dropped into coverage.
• After a hot start to camp, receiver Brenton Bersin hasn’t been targeted much lately.
• Tiquan Underwood continued his inconsistent play. He made a nice hands catch on the sideline, then missed a pass across the middle that hit off his body and popped into the air.
• Receiver Jerricho Cotchery had the wind knocked off of him on a deep Newton pass that he hauled in. Cornerback Antoine Cason landed on top of Cotchery and the veteran receiver was slow to get up.
• Newton got tangled up with guard Amini Silatolu’s feet during team drills and came up limping on his surgically repaired left ankle. Rivera was none too pleased with that after practice.