Observations from Carolina Panthers training camp in Spartanburg:
▪ Panthers coach Ron Rivera has already started hearing the jawing between quarterback Cam Newton and linebacker Thomas Davis. No jawing was more audible than Newton taunting safety Tre Boston after Newton completed a pass to tight end Ed Dickson that was just out of Boston’s reach.
▪ Defensive tackle Kawann Short may be in the midst of contract negotiations, but it didn’t stop him from poking fun at GM Dave Gettleman after practice. Short gave Gettleman a hard time for the ice Gettleman had on his knee. Gettleman underwent knee replacement surgery in the spring.
▪ If not for Kelvin Benjamin’s spectacular catch, Stephen Hill probably would have had the catch of the day. He brought in a Newton pass on a go route where he never sold it with his eyes or hands. Defensive back Colin Jones was looking up and back for the pass as Hill was bringing it in.
▪ Defensive end Ryan Delaire showed a great motor throughout practice. He would have sacked Newton early in team drills and seemed to be giving it 100 percent all day long. He’ll be on the bubble to make the final roster.
▪ Undrafted rookie receiver Keyarris Garrett had a bad drop early in practice. Derek Anderson found him in the flat and Garrett dropped the clean, short pass.
▪ Devin Funchess showed how well he can catch a pass and tuck it away. He hauled in a pass from Newton on an out route and fended off a furious attempt from rookie cornerback James Bradberry to rip it away.
▪ Newton underthrew a deep pass to Ted Ginn Jr. that Ginn nearly caught. Ginn, blanketed by Bradberry, had the ball against his chest when Kurt Coleman came through and jarred it loose.
▪ Undrafted rookie fullback Devon Johnson was absent from practice after experiencing tightness in his lower back.