Observations from Carolina Panthers Fan Fest at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte on Friday night:
▪ Cornerback Lou Young took things a bit far during 7-on-7 drills when he put a hit on Jalen Simmons on an overthrown ball. Ron Rivera pulled Young aside and told him that players don’t expect to get hit in 7-on-7 and that he needed to settle down.
▪ The Panthers’ defensive end depth took a hit Friday when reserves Wes Horton and Larry Webster went out with injuries. Horton sprained his right wrist during a 1-on-1 drill against right tackle Mike Remmers, and Webster pulled his right hamstring while facing the third-team offense.
▪ Center Ryan Kalil, defensive end Charles Johnson and linebacker Thomas Davis all had the day off. Running back Jonathan Stewart and wideouts Kelvin Benjamin and Stephen Hill were in uniform, but did not participate in team drills.
▪ The Panthers’ two highest-profile players jawed at each other after Cam Newton completed a pass to tight end Ed Dickson over Luke Kuechly. After the play Newton and Kuechly each had something to say to the other.
▪ Fullback Mike Tolbert broke into the clear and lowered his shoulder into Tre Boston, knocking him to the ground. But Boston popped up and shook hands. No harm, no foul.
▪ The first-team offense was backed up to the 1 when Newton drew the defense offsides with a hard cadence. Defensive end Mario Addison appeared to be the guilty party.
▪ Hornets head coach Steve Clifford and assistant coaches Stephen Silas and Steve Hetzel attended practice and stood on the sideline.
▪ Both Cameron Artis-Payne and Brandon Wegher broke off long runs Friday night. Artis-Payne went nearly 50 yards from his own 1 and Wegher went nearly 40, zig-zagging behind cornerback Teddy Williams to extend the play.
▪ Tight end Eric Wallace, who hasn’t played organized American football since he was 14, dropped a wide-open touchdown pass from Joe Webb in the back of the end zone.
▪ Undrafted rookie linebacker Jeremy Cash had been having a quiet camp until his interception of a Derek Anderson pass intended for Damiere Byrd.
▪ Rookie tight end Beau Sandland made a great sliding catch on a pass from Joe Webb late in practice in front of safety Colin Jones.