• If you had former Panthers wide receiver Brandon LaFell scoring the first touchdown in a prop bet, you’re buying lunch and/or beers Monday. LaFell had trouble with dropped passes in Charlotte, but he held on to Tom Brady’s 11-yard scoring pass, on a slant route.
LaFell also had an assist on Rob Gronkowski’s touchdown grab. A stadium official tried to give Gronkowski the ball after his Gronk spike, but he was celebrating and not paying attention. LaFell retrieved it for him.
• Chris Matthews, Seattle’s 6-foot-5 receiver, caught a touchdown and set up another one during the first half. You no longer can say all he does is recover onside kicks.
• Great shot of Bill Belichick during the national anthem. Hoodie on, of course, and a pencil stuck behind his ear. My dad thinks Belichick makes frumpy look cool.
• Remember Jonas Gray? The Patriots’ running back who went for 201 yards against the Colts in November was inactive for the Super Bowl. He needs a better alarm. Oversleeping and missing a meeting prompted New England to bring back LeGarrette Blount. Gray always will have Indy.
• Panthers analyst Eugene Robinson, covering the game for WCNC, was sitting with Rod Woodson in the press box during the first half. The retired defensive backs played a combined 33 seasons and have five Super Bowl appearances between them.
• Bears receiver Brandon Marshall was doing a pregame segment for Showtime outside the stadium holding an inflatable football. It looked to be significantly below 12.5 psi. #DeflateGate rages on.