Observations from Carolina Panthers training camp in Spartanburg:
▪ Cam Newton challenged himself not to throw any interceptions to LBs Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis during camp. He made it more than two weeks before Kuechly picked him off on the first play of 7-on-7s Sunday. As Kuechly ran toward the end zone, he yelled: “Got him!”
▪ On the next snap, Newton unleashed a bomb that Devin Funchess caught in stride for a long touchdown. Naturally, Funchess celebrated by shouting: “Got him!”
▪ Offensive line coach Ray Brown, who played 20 years in the NFL, seemed to tire of all the verbal sparring. He walked along the sideline yelling for the offensive players to do their talking with their performance.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
▪ Outside linebacker Thomas Davis was late arriving to practice after dealing with a personal issue. He showed up for the start of team drills.
▪ Longtime college and NFL offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris attended practice as a guest of Panthers running game coordinator John Matsko. D’Alessandris, who lives in Atlanta, was with the Chargers last season.
▪ The Panthers will have their final full-pads practice of camp Monday morning. Coach Ron Rivera indicated players will practice in helmets and shorts Tuesday before breaking camp.