Observations from Wednesday’s Carolina Panthers minicamp practice:
▪ Backup tight end Ed Dickson caught a 20-yard pass from Cam Newton during a one-minute drill. But Dickson later dropped a catchable ball along the sideline during the same drill.
▪ Newton hit running back Fozzy Whittaker for a 39-yard touchdown pass on a wheel route during the one-minute offense. Whittaker got behind defensive end Kony Ealy, who had dropped into coverage on the play.
▪ After the touchdown toss, Newton ran down the field and hip-bumped Whittaker and continued to celebrate loudly. Some members of the defense and a defensive coach jawed back and forth with Newton during his celebration.
▪ Wide receiver Brenton Bersin sat out after rolling his ankle during Tuesday’s practice. Bersin received treatment Tuesday and is expected to be recovered within a week or so.
▪ The Panthers hosted 12-year-old Trey Rice III on Tuesday. Rice, who is 12 years old and from Troutman, has Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation fulfilled his request to be a Carolina Panthers player for a day.
▪ Ealy beat second-year offensive tackle Daryl Williams on consecutive plays during team drills while Williams was playing left tackle, going around the edge with speed. Then on the next play, Ealy jumped offside.
▪ Safety Tre Boston made a great leaping interception down the sideline during team drills. The pass, thrown by Newton, was intended for Funchess.