Observations from Tuesday’s Carolina Panthers training camp practice in Spartanburg:
▪ Receiver Brenton Bersin had two uncharacteristic drops Tuesday. Panthers coach Ron Rivera chalked it up to being the dog days of training camp, and that with some time off he and the others will get the rest they need to be better. Bersin’s best attribute is his hands, so those can’t fail him as he works to earn a roster spot.
▪ Rookie nickel corner Zack Sanchez made another play on the ball. He stepped in front of a pass intended for Stephen Hill to get the pass breakup.
▪ The Panthers waived/injured defensive tackle Chas Alecxih (knee) and receiver Tobais Palmer (ankle). They signed DT Tom Lally, whom they had in Charlotte during rookie tryouts after the draft.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Veteran punter Mike Scifres did not punt Tuesday. He was dealing with some discomfort in his non-kicking leg knee, on which he had offseason surgery. It’s plausible Swayze Waters gets the bulk of the work in Baltimore.
▪ Undrafted receiver Keyarris Garrett dropped another pass. It’s becoming a theme at camp.
▪ Charlotte native Avius Capers put together two great hands catches on Tuesday. He’ll get a lot of work in Baltimore.