Five quick thoughts on Charlotte sports:
1. Jared Allen’s retirement video, posted on Twitter, was a classic. Short, sweet and snowy.
2. It was a good thing Allen retired, too. His timing was adept, because the Panthers absolutely would have had to release him for salary-cap reasons.
3. Thank goodness the Charlotte Hornets didn’t end up mortgaging their future by giving up a first-round draft pick to rent Dwight Howard for a few months. That would have been a complete mess.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
4. The trade the Hornets did make, for Courtney Lee, was fine with me. I have not been a P.J. Hairston or Brian Roberts fan for quite awhile.
5. I’ve said it before and I will say it again: The Panthers cannot let cornerback Josh Norman hit the open market. You have to sign him long term – the preferable option – or use your franchise tag on him.