Five quick thoughts on Charlotte sports:
1. Jared Allen’s retirement video, posted on Twitter, was a classic. Short, sweet and snowy.
2. It was a good thing Allen retired, too. His timing was adept, because the Panthers absolutely would have had to release him for salary-cap reasons.
3. Thank goodness the Charlotte Hornets didn’t end up mortgaging their future by giving up a first-round draft pick to rent Dwight Howard for a few months. That would have been a complete mess.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
4. The trade the Hornets did make, for Courtney Lee, was fine with me. I have not been a P.J. Hairston or Brian Roberts fan for quite awhile.
5. I’ve said it before and I will say it again: The Panthers cannot let cornerback Josh Norman hit the open market. You have to sign him long term – the preferable option – or use your franchise tag on him.