This Saturday, June 20, marks the 11th-annual International Surfing Day (ISD). Each year, celebrations take place in more than 30 countries across the globe, featuring surf contests, barbecues, film screenings and other surf-related activities.
Surfrider is the largest non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to protecting the world’s oceans, waves and beaches, and yours truly is a board member of the Charlotte chapter. So let me give ya the scoop on what we have planned for y’all this weekend.
The day starts bright and early on Lake Norman at Holiday Marina with the gang from Charlotte Ski Boats. For $50 you get a Surfrider membership, HKTK swag, a raffle ticket and a 3-hour session to wake surf.
Never wake surfed? No problem. They can teach you. Don’t be shy; come give it a try.
Here are some more details about the day:
– Get out on the water in the a.m. (8-11 a.m.)
– For a $50 donation, you will receive a membership to the chapter, a HKTK rashguard and the wakesurf session.
– Already a member? For just a $35 donation you will get the HKTK rashguard and the surf session.
– An after party at TIKI Hideaway (a new Polynesian inspired bar…Think “Elvis: Blue Hawaii” meets “Mad Men”) will feature live music by West Bolz from Banana Pancakes (Jack Johnson tribute) from 7-9 p.m. and AquaLads from 10 p.m.-midnight. There will also be food and drink specials.
– The raffle starts at 8:30 p.m. The guys from Slighty Stoopid donated some tickets to their July 18 show in Charleston, so we are raffling those off along with other great prizes! Thank you SS!
– Limited spots are available so sign up now!
It’s easy to take the beaches and waves for granted every time you go to drop in a wave, but if we want to protect our oceans and waves Surfrider Charlotte needs your help!
Top photo: AP. Other photos courtesy of Jenna Gribble.
Jenna Gribble www.helloimjenna.com