Summer is the perfect time to hit up a local brewery, spend a day at the neighborhood pool or plug into some local performances.
These local July art and music events are not only diverse in location and content, but also cheap or free. Thank goodness for summer fun and an awesome undercurrent of performers who are giving us something to get excited about.
(1) Follow My Light
– Price: $12
– When: Tuesday and Wednesday, July 14 and 15
– Where: UpStage NoDa, 3306 North Davidson St.
Follow My Light is a dark re-imagining of J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan. The musical follows Peter, an angel, who is responsible for accompanying the souls of children who have died as they make their journey to heaven.
This new musical is in development in Charlotte and this is your chance to see something new before it takes off.
(2) Home – Charlotte Storytellers
– Price: Free
– When: Saturday, July 18 at 7:30 p.m.
– Where: Frock Shop, 901 Central Ave.
— CLT Storytellers (@CLTstorytellers) July 9, 2015
If you aren’t familiar with Charlotte Storytellers, now’s the time to meet this eclectic tribe. Part honesty and part hilarity, stories range in style but are sure to entertain and create a community atmosphere.
– Price: Free
– When: July 19 at 2:30 p.m.
– Where: Levine Museum of the New South, 200 E. 7th Street
— Levine Museum (@LevineMuseum) July 12, 2015
The second installment in the museum’s summer series celebrates the dance and music of Latin America with a band and dance instructors. Not only do you get a chance to enjoy some live music and a little insight into the artistic culture of Latin America, but you actually get a chance to join in. Bring your dancing shoes!
(4) Intergalactic Soul Exhibition – Quentin Talley and The Soul Providers
– Price: $10
– When: July 23 at 6:30 p.m.
– Where: Harvey B. Gantt Center, 551 South Tryon St.Intergalactic Soul Exhibition
If you haven’t seen these guys live, you’re about to get your mind blown.
The Intergalactic Soul exhibit opens July 18 and runs through Dec. 31.
(5) Bloom Opening Night
– Price: $7
– When: Friday, July 31 at 7:30 p.m.
– Where: Cube NoDa, 617 East 28th Street.
A night of beautiful dancing followed by an open dance party, hosted by DJ April Lowe. Drinks available for a donation so come for the dance and stay for the party.
The Bloom party continues the next night with the main event at Chop Shop, so if you can’t make opening, get the full experience on Saturday, Aug. 1.
Brianna Susan Smith