Charlotte: Fire up those grills this weekend for Memorial Day 2016. Also check out some of these special Memorial Day events going on in the Charlotte area. All are free or really cheap.
Memorial Day Events
– Live music at USNWC: Sunday, 9 a.m. until after dark. The U.S. National Whitewater Center’s Memorial Day Celebration kicks off with trail races at 9 a.m., and there is a charge for participating. However, live music is free and so are the fireworks that follow.
– Circle K and Kangaroo Speed Street: Thursday, May 26th through Saturday, May 28th, in Uptown Charlotte. Live music, drivers’ appearances, kids activities, and much more. Note: The headlining concerts on Friday and Saturday night are not free this year. It’ll cost $15/night.
– Mint Hill Madness: Friday through Sunday. This festival features a parade, carnival, live music and kids’ activities.
– Carowinds Military Days: Sunday and Monday. Active, inactive or retired United States Service men and women with a valid military I.D. can get into Carowinds for free.
– Memorial Day Ceremony at Birkdale Village: Birkdale Village in Huntersville will host a ceremony on Monday at 7 p.m.
– Funky Free Range Field Day: Free Range Brewing is hosting a free Memorial Day Party Monday 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. featuring three live bands.
Memorial Day freebies and deals
– Free meal: All Hickory Tavern locations are offering a free meal to veterans and active duty military members on Monday, from open to close.
– Hooters: Veterans and active-duty military personnel can get a free entrée at Hooters when they present their military ID.
– McCormick & Schmick’s: Monday, active members of U.S. military and National Guard, as well as veterans, get a free lunch or dinner entrée.
– Free burger: Shoney’s is offering active duty military personnel, and veterans, a free All-American Burger and fries on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30th, 2016.
Photo: Charlotte on the Cheap