A shopping center on South Kings Drive in midtown is getting a new look and new tenants, according to this Ely Portillo story.
The two new tenants — Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint and CycleBar, an indoor cycling fitness studio — should open later this year in Kings Square, at South Kings Drive and Luther Street. So now you can eat all of the calories and burn all of the calories without leaving the shopping center.
This brings even more development to the Cherry neighborhood, which is rapidly changing with a wave of new residents moving in, building big homes and driving up property values in the historic black neighborhood. City Council recently approved a major mixed-use development just down South Kings Drive from the center.
Once again, a case of balancing development and neighborhood character.
More details about the renovation:
– The center currently has a Subway, Emperor Chinese Restaurant and iColor Nails, which will all stay.
– The renovation will focus on the building’s facade, and it should be finished in three or four months. Here’s a rendering:
– MPV Properties recently bought the center for $3.25 million.
– Cherry is going through a lot of change, with a wave of new residents moving in, building larger homes and driving up property values in the historic neighborhood. City Council recently approved a major mixed-use development just down the South Kings Drive from this center.
Other quick development hits:
– The Seigle Avenue Presbyterian Church property near Plaza Midwood was sold to an unnamed developer. This would be the next part of a wave of development in the area.
– Bonterra Builders bought a huge chunk of land (213 acres) on York Road near Lake Wylie.
– A 26-duplex development is planned for Old Concord Road near UNC Charlotte.
– Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries (the burger joint formerly known as Andy’s) is opening a new location in the Steele Creek area, 4847 Shopton Road.
Photo: Google Street View. Rendering: MPV Properties.