Construction is wrapping up on almost 800 new apartments that are changing the face of Morehead Street – the first wave in a surge of new developments that will reshape the corridor from one end to the other.
A dozen major projects are underway or planned to start soon along the 3.5 mile road that runs south, east and west of uptown. When construction is complete in a few years, Morehead Street will have almost 1,500 new apartments, two new office buildings, a renovated flagship Dowd Y and a strip of revitalized, pedestrian-friendly bars and restaurants within walking distance from Bank of America Stadium.
Morehead Street is close to uptown but has long felt distinct, with East Morehead Street rapidly turning into a suburban enclave and West Morehead Street fading to older industrial buildings. Now, both sides of the street are rapidly becoming more dense and urban.
Here are 11 of the biggest developments coming to the area:
(1) 1331 West Morehead: Southern Apartment Group plans to break ground in the coming weeks for a new apartment building with about 300 units.
(2) 1213 West Morehead: CitiSculpt is planning to build a 68,000 square-foot office building that could open in the fourth quarter 2017.
(3) 609 West Morehead: Charlotte Pipe & Foundry plans to build a training facility and warehouse on long-vacant land.
(4) 600 West Morehead: Budget Self Storage plans to build a 5-story self-storage building with office and retail on the ground floor.
(5) 315 West Morehead: Toronto developer David Laren has purchased a strip of old buildings here for $4.5 million, with plans to renovate them into restaurants and bars.
(6) 135 West Morehead: Loft 135, a 298-unit apartment building that recently opened.
(7) 400 East Morehead: The Dowd YMCA is planning to start a $26.5 million renovation this fall.
(8) 500 East Morehead: Beacon Partners is building a 7-story, 180,000 square-foot office building. Completion set for 2017.
(9) 1244 East Morehead: Solis Dilworth, a 184-unit apartment building. Opening March 2016.
(10) 1301 East Morehead: The Dillon, a 379-unit apartment building. Under construction.
(11) 1351 East Morehead: Crescent Dilworth, a 296-unit apartment building. Now leasing.
Read more about the transformation of Morehead Street here.
Photos: T. Ortega Gaines/Charlotte Observer; BB+M Architecture