The Carolina’s Got Art! competition awarded $26,000 in cash prizes to 20 Carolina artists this year, the fourth year the competition has been held since it was created in 2009. The contest’s second exhibition opened June 5 and continues until Saturday at Elder Gallery.
Making up the panel of judges was Larry Elder, founder of Carolina’s Got Art! and owner of Elder Gallery; Eliza Rathbone, recently retired after 20 years as chief curator of the Phillips Collection; and acclaimed ceramicist Peter Callas.
Amateur and professional artists working in North and South Carolina could enter up to three pieces each. Starting March 15, the judges sifted through a pool of almost 3,000 submissions from approximately 1,000 artists.
For the contest’s first exhibition in May, Rathbone picked about 110 works to display. She chose nine works to receive cash prizes, giving away a total of $15,500 to a grand prize, first place, second place, third place, honorable mentions, and people’s choice winner.
Elder and Callas are responsible for the competition’s second two exhibitions, currently on display until Saturday at Elder Gallery.
Elder picked around 130 submissions from the pool after Rathbone’s choices were taken out. He awarded a total of $4,500 to six prize-winners including first place, second place, third place, honorable mentions, and people’s choice.
Callas chose 40 ceramic works to display out of 400 ceramic submissions and awarded $6,000 to five prize winners including first place, second place, third place, and honorable mentions.
Works in the exhibition are also for sale. Sold works will remain until the end of the exhibition. Prices and the artists’ stories of inspiration are posted beside each work.
“The whole concept is to support the artist because they’re having a pretty tough time in today’s economy,” Elder said.
▪ Grand Prize $5,000 Greg Siler, “Nude With Umbrella” from Raleigh.
▪ First Place $3,500 Lyndsey Day, “Loyal Dog” from Simpsonville, S.C.
▪ Second Place $2,500 Howard Frye, “Pilot Mountain” from Florence, S.C.
▪ Third Place $1,500 Jim Celano, “Brayer” from Greensboro.
▪ People’s Choice Winner $500 Ashley Knight, “Walking On The Sky” from Charlotte.
▪ First Place $1,500 Kimberly Clark, “October 11” from Greenville, S.C.
▪ Second Place $1,000 Mark Poteat, “The Factory” from Morganton.
▪ Third Place $500 Staton Davis, “Black Tea and Bone Char” from Jamestown.
▪ People’s Choice Winner $500 Pending until the end of the show. !
June Ceramics Winners
▪ First Place $3,000 Eric Knoche, “Heavy Cloud” from Alexander.
▪ Second Place $1,500 Mark Gordon, “Cube Ring” from Wilson.
▪ Third Place $750 Jennifer Halli, “Podcast 1” from Taylors, S.C.