Charlotte airport flight cancellations pile up, with over 460 since Friday
Flight cancellations and passenger misery continued to rise Monday at Charlotte’s airport after the Federal Aviation Administration ordered flight reductions nationwide, as the government shutdown continues into another month.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport was named one of 40 major U.S. airports subject to the mandatory reductions, which are intended to ease pressure on air traffic controllers due to staff shortages. It’s also the only airline in the Carolinas on the FAA list.
CLT saw a total of 462 cancellations from Friday through Tuesday morning, according to a Charlotte Observer review of FlightAware data, a website that provides real-time flight information.
Charlotte Douglas had more than 5,000 delays in October and over 80 cancellations. In November, there were more than 2,790 delays and more than 460 cancellations. So far, that’s an estimated total surpassing 7,680 delays and 540 cancellations during the shutdown.
The mandatory air traffic limits began last Friday with reductions of 4%, and further increases were ordered for the following days up to 10%, according to the FAA. Charlotte’s airport has an estimated 1,800 daily arrivals and departures, according to its website. Under the FAA orders, that would mean a reduction of approximately 180 flights for 10% of the flights.
Before then, flight reductions will increase to 6% on Tuesday and 8% on Thursday. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said the mandatory cancellations could climb up to 20% if the shutdown continues, the Wall Street Journal reported.
But U.S. lawmakers moved closer to ending America’s longest government shutdown after eight Democrats joined Republicans in a 60–40 Senate vote Sunday night, advancing debate on a funding deal for federal agencies.
Until that deal is reached, CLT passengers will continue to have their travel plans disrupted.
Passengers who were able to head out from the airport on Friday told The Charlotte Observer they were very anxious that their return flights could be canceled or delayed.
Charlotte airport flight cancellations, delays
On Friday, Charlotte Douglas saw 41 cancellations and 286 delays.
Cancellations increased on Saturday to 150, along with 549 delays. On Sunday, CLT had 119 cancellations and 464 delays. Over the weekend, the FAA also ordered a system-wide ground stop lasting more than an hour, affecting CLT and major airports throughout the country due to a lack of air traffic controllers.
As of 10 a.m. Tuesday, there had been 58 cancellations and 32 delays.
The air traffic problems began on Oct. 1, after Congress failed to reach a funding deal for federal agencies, leading to issues such as no food assistance for millions. As the shutdown dragged on, both Republicans and Democrats pointed fingers at each other for the ongoing stalemate.
About Charlotte Douglas Airport
Charlotte Douglas is the world’s sixth-busiest airport. “With a prolonged federal shutdown, disruptions become more likely,” CLT officials stated Saturday on social media.
American Airlines is the dominant provider of flights at CLT, accounting for 90% of its air traffic. The airline will notify impacted customers, and flexible rebooking options are available at aa.com and on its app, according to an online message Sunday night.
“We, again, urge leaders in Washington, D.C., to reach an immediate resolution to end the shutdown,” American Airlines said.
On Monday, CLT took to social media to remind passengers to check their flight status with their airline before coming to the airport.
This story was originally published November 10, 2025 at 12:07 PM.