Ally Financial said it is bringing to Charlotte this Friday a free contest in which the company is giving away a total of $55,000 nationwide.
Here’s how it will work:
▪ On Friday, Ally will disperse hundreds of $1 bills in Charlotte by spending them at undisclosed retailers in uptown, Third Ward, Dilworth and South End. (A video on Ally’s website broadly describing the contest mentions coffee shops, dinners or “anywhere else you can spend cash” as possibilities.)
▪ People who shop at selected businesses, and receive cash as change, can then go to an Ally website to enter the bills’ serial and series numbers to learn whether any of them are winning bills.
▪ Players can win a range of prize money. Ally said there will be 150 winners of $100, six winners of $5,000 and one grand-prize winner of $10,000.
The contest’s aim is to encourage consumers to think about their money differently, similar to previous Ally contests and campaigns, Chief Marketing Officer Andrea Riley said in a statement. “It’s all aimed at the same goal of helping our customers make the most of their financial futures, down to each penny and dollar.”
Detroit-based Ally Financial is the parent of Ally Bank, which operates online only and has no branches. Ally Financial maintains a large presence in Charlotte, where CEO Jeffrey Brown is based.
According to Ally, 15 cities across the U.S. will be included in the contest, dubbed “Hardest Working Dollars,” which launched June 6 and ends July 31. Ally said it will disperse a total of 7,500 dollar bills across the cities. The company’s website shows where winning dollar bills have been redeemed so far.
Charlotte becomes the 12th city in the Hardest Working Dollar contest. Others include New York, San Francisco, Detroit, Seattle, Boston and Philadelphia.
According to Ally, here’s the list of areas where dollar bills will be dispersed in Charlotte:
▪ North Cedar Street, 28202
▪ Hampshire Hills Plaza, 28202
▪ North Graham Street, 28203
▪ North Music Factory Boulevard, 28206
▪ East Boulevard, 28203
▪ Kenilworth Avenue, 28203
▪ South Boulevard, 28203
▪ Camden Road, 28203
▪ South Tryon Street, 28202
▪ Brevard Court, 28202