Coronavirus live updates: Here’s what to know in North Carolina on May 6
Click here for updates for May 7.
We’re keeping track of the most up-to-date news about the coronavirus in North Carolina. Check back for updates.
Cases top 13,000
At least 13,054 people in North Carolina have tested positive for the coronavirus as of Wednesday afternoon, and 493 have died, according to state and county health departments.
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday reported 502 new cases of COVID-19, a jump from the 408 it reported the day before. The state was averaging 401 daily cases over the last seven days as of Wednesday.
The state reports it has completed 164,482 COVID-19 tests, about 8% of which have come back positive.
At least 516 North Carolinians were hospitalized with the virus on Wednesday, down from 534 the day before, according to the state. The rolling seven-day average of daily hospitalizations on Wednesday was 517.
Avery County is the only one of the state’s 100 counties that hasn’t reported a case of the coronavirus. At least one death has been reported in 64 counties.
State parks reopening
North Carolina state parks will reopen with restrictions, officials said Wednesday.
All 41 parks will reopen on Saturday, with the exception of Gorges State Park in Transylvania County, which plans to reopen next week.
Campgrounds, visitor centers and picnic shelters will still be closed.
Outer Banks reopening
North Carolina’s Outer Banks will reopen to visitors this weekend.
Dare, Hyde and Currituck Counties will lift their visitor restrictions in place amid the coronavirus pandemic on May 16 at 12:01 a.m. Visitors were previously banned.
However, gathering restrictions are still in place, social distancing is still required and many businesses are closed or not operating like normal.
Summer camps
Summer day camps may open under Phase One of North Carolina’s reopening plan, as long as guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are followed, The News & Observer reported Wednesday. Sports and other activities cannot be offered without social distancing.
No overnight camps are allowed under Phase One, and the state is waiting for guidance from national officials on whether they can open during Phase Two.
Meat processing plants
North Carolina officials won’t say whether the state will release data on where coronavirus outbreaks at meat processing plants occur.
More workers at these plants have contracted COVID-19, but Dr. Mandy Cohen, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services secretary, said at a new conference Wednesday that only one state releases such data.
“But I hear you,” she said during the conference, according to The N&O. “Everyone wants more and more information, so stay tuned for more information about that.”
Bill targets executive orders
A new bill, the “NC Freedom to Work Act,” proposed in the North Carolina General Assembly would allow businesses and individuals to violate several of Gov. Roy Cooper’s executive orders related to coronavirus with virtually no consequences.
The bill would allow businesses to reopen with a $25 civil fine and no criminal charges instead of up to $1,000 fine or criminal charges.
It has the support of ReOpenNC organizers and some conservatives in the state Senate.
Wi-Fi buses
School buses will soon provide internet access to students using remote learning as North Carolina schools remain closed amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The buses will be equipped with Wi-Fi hot spots and will travel to “underserved” areas and park in drive-up locations so students can use the internet to turn in assignments, download learning materials or connect with their teachers online.
The Wi-Fi buses can also be used for people to apply for unemployment or connect with a doctor.
Need for nurses
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Wednesday said the state had an “urgent” need for health care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. It put out a call for registered nurses and certified nursing assistants to take on work at facilities, especially hard-hit long-term care centers.
East Carolina University’s nursing school is teaming up with state officials to match nurses with facilities that are near them. As the coronavirus spreads, relaxed rules mean nurses with licenses from other states and students on track for graduation can work in North Carolina, The News & Observer reported.
People who are interested in picking up part-time, full-time or temporary work can sign up online at nc.readyop.com/fs/4cjq/697b.
First phase of reopening starts Friday
Gov. Roy Cooper on Tuesday issued an executive order that will allow North Carolina to move into the first phase of the lifting of statewide restrictions.
The order goes in effect at 5 p.m. Friday. The statewide stay-at-home order will still be in place, but restrictions on leaving the home will be loosened and more businesses will be allowed to open.
Retail stores will be allowed to operate at 50% of their capacity with cleaning and social distancing measures.
Restaurants and bars will still be restricted to take out and delivery services, and other businesses, such as salons, gyms and movie theaters, will remain closed.
Outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people will be allowed, and state parks and trails are encouraged to reopen. But social distancing is still required.
Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services, said North Carolina has hit three out of four trend benchmarks related to coronavirus.
Church services
Faith groups can hold only outdoor services after North Carolina transitions to the first phase of Cooper’s plan to reopen the state starting Friday.
Though worship is exempt from the ban on gatherings of more than 10 people, state officials say there’s a higher risk of spreading COVID-19 inside. While outdoors, worshipers will be required to wear masks and practice social distancing around people who aren’t relatives or household members, The News & Observer reported.
Only drive-in services are allowed under current coronavirus-related restrictions.
Coronavirus trends
North Carolina has hit three of the four “trends” state leaders have identified as important factors in deciding when to reopen the state’s economy.
Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services, made the announcement Tuesday when the governor also said Phase One of the reopening plan will begin Friday.
Cohen said the state is meeting the following trend benchmarks because the numbers are declining or leveling off: patients with COVID-19 patients seen by health care workers, hospitalized patients with the virus and the percent of tests coming back positive.
The state has not met the fourth trend benchmark, which is the number of coronavirus cases. The figure continues to climb as more people get tested.
Thousands have hours cut
More than 4,000 North Carolinians who work at a restaurant chain had their hours reduced.
The cuts at OS Restaurant Services, which includes Outback, Carrabba’s, Bonefish and Fleming’s, affect 4,184 workers at 65 locations across North Carolina.
“We have not had any layoffs and do not currently plan any,” said Elizabeth Watts, a company spokesperson, according to The Charlotte Observer. “We sent WARN notices to employees and the required municipalities due to a reduction in hours resulting from the closing of our dining rooms.”
Cases among inmates
Inmates at the North Carolina Correctional Institute for Women who were paid $1 a day to clean government buildings say they later tested positive for the coronavirus.
Officials said on March 25 they were suspending the prison work release program due to coronavirus concerns, but the program went on until April 16, The Charlotte Observer reported.
John Bull, a spokesperson for the state prisons, told the Observer the cleaning was “deemed to be essential to the continued effective operations of the Department of Public Safety during the response to this pandemic” and that they stopped “the moment anyone showed symptoms.”
At least 90 inmates at the facility in Raleigh have tested positive for COVID-19.
This story was originally published May 6, 2020 at 6:54 AM with the headline "Coronavirus live updates: Here’s what to know in North Carolina on May 6."