Charlotte area roads remained very slick Tuesday morning following the overnight storm of sleet and ice.
A jack-knifed tractor trailer has caused two right lanes to be closed on Interstate 85 North around Exit 45, W.T. Harris Boulevard, in north Charlotte. The lanes were closed around 9 a.m., and the vehicle also took out a big part of the guard rail, according to N.C. Department of Transportation.
And at about 10:20 a.m. an accident on I-77 North at mile marker 6 had the left and center lanes closed.
Officials urged people to stay off the roads if possible. Interstates remained clogged Tuesday morning, while area roads and secondary streets remain ice covered. Driving will remain hazardous until at least late morning after up to 1/4inch of freezing rain fell overnight in many spots, according to the National Weather Service.
At 10:35 a.m., here were other problems:
▪ Accident on I-85 S. at I-485 outer loop.
▪ Accident on I-77 N. at Exit 6B, Clanton Road.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Billy Graham Parkway at West Boulevard.
▪ Disabled vehicle at Pineville-Matthews Road at the ramp to I-485.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Rocky River Road at N. I-485.
▪ Disabled vehicle on I-85 S. at West Sugar Creek Road.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Clanton Road at South Tryon Street.
▪ Accident on I-85 N. at U.S. 74 in Kings Mountain.
▪ Accident with injury on I-85 S. at North Graham Street. One lane is blocked.
▪ Accident in the 2700 block of West Brookshire Freeway.
▪ Stalled vehicle on Eastfield Road at Independence Hill Road.
▪ Accident on Gilead Road at Ervin Cook Road.
▪ Disabled vehicle on North Tryon Street at Tom Hunter Road.
▪ Accident on East Sugar Creek Road at Dinglewood Avenue.
▪ Accident on Wilson Avenue at Joy Street.
▪ Stalled vehicle on U.S. 29 at Boyer Street.
▪ Road blockage in the 7900 block of Hood Road.