A candle caused a fire that did about $40,000 in damage to a one-story home in the 400 block of East Park Avenue in Gastonia on Friday, fire officials said.
The homeowner tried to put the fire out with a garden hose. The person was taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center due to smoke inhalation.
The fire started about 3:45 a.m. Firefighters extinguished the flames in about 10 minutes, with no injuries to fire personnel reported.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.