Local

Woman dies in Lincolnton apartment fire

A 65-year-old woman died after her Lincolnton apartment caught fire Monday night, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said.

Melinda Holt Thomas, of 963 Bailey Springs Drive, was found on the floor of her apartment by firefighters, about 15 feet from the entrance.

Boger City firefighters pulled Thomas from the apartment, but she was already dead, sheriff’s investigators said.

The fire is believed to have started on a bed where several cigarette butts were found, fire officials said. Firefighters extinguished a small fire in the corner of a room where the bed was found.

Twenty-five firefighters responded to the fire, which started about 7:30 p.m.

The apartment is in the 28-unit Bailey Springs Apartments in the 900 block of Bailey Springs Drive, off Wilma Sigmon Road between North Aspen Street and four-lane U.S. 321.

The affordable-housing complex is for seniors.

Marusak: 704-358-5067;

Twitter: @jmarusak

  Comments