Two Gastonia firefighters were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries while battling a house fire caused by discarded smoking materials late Thursday, fire officials said.
Marco Gonzalez, 53, and Jamie Weyant, 41, were taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center in Gastonia after a ceiling collapsed on them in the two-story house in the 3000 block of Courtland Drive.
Weyant was injured in his lower back and neck and remained hospitalized Friday. He has been with the department for 13 years.
Gonzalez injured his knee and was released from the hospital early Friday. He has been with the department for eight years.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
An evacuation of all other firefighters was then ordered. Twenty-five firefighters responded to the blaze.
The home’s occupants weren’t there when the fire started.
The home sustained an estimated $80,000 in damages, fire officials said.