As residents in the Carolinas hunker down amid the continued heavy rains and strong winds from Florence Sunday, several businesses are closed, and some public services are on hold.
From grocery stores to malls to public transit, the following is a running list of closures/service suspensions in Charlotte Sunday. This list will be updated periodically. If you have any updates to share, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
▪ CityLYNX Gold Line streetcar service will not be running Sunday.
▪Three Walmart stores: The Supercenter at 3240 Wilkinson Blvd. is closed Sunday, as is the Walmart store at 9101 Albemarle Road in Charlotte and the Mooresville store at 646 River Hwy. But all other Charlotte-area stores are open. Check the company’s website, https://corporate.walmart.com/florence, for a complete listing of store status.
▪ Sam’s Club: The wholesale store in University City (8909 JW Clay Blvd.) is closed Sunday.
▪ Trader Joe’s: The grocer closed its south Charlotte location in Piper Glen Sunday; its midtown location is open.
▪ Northlake Mall is closed Sunday.
▪ Breweries: Resident Culture, Unknown, Lenny Boy, Thirsty Nomad, Bold Missy are all closed on Sunday. Other breweries may have limited hours — your best bet is to check their Instagram pages for updates.
▪ Restaurants: 300 East, The Stanley, Little Spoon, Pure Pizza, Reid’s, Zeppelin, Living Kitchen, Yume, Bang Bang Burgers (South End), Roots Cafe, Sabor (all locations), Three Amigos Mexican Grill & Cantina, Owen’s Bagel & Deli, Dot Dot Dot, RockSalt and Yafo.
▪ Charlotte Mecklenburg Library: All locations closed Sunday. The library said book drops will be locked, and customers do not pay fines for closed days.
▪ Specialty grocers/delis: Max & Lola Bodega and Earl’s Market are both closed Sunday.
▪ Pike Nurseries: All Charlotte locations closed Sunday.
▪ Park Road Books is closed Sunday.
▪ Amelie’s: All locations closed Sunday except flagship store at 2424 N. Davidson St. in NoDa. That’ll remain open 24 hours as usual, as long as the power is on.
▪ YMCA: All branches of the YMCA of Greater Charlotte are closed on Sunday.
▪ Friendship Trays has canceled Monday deliveries of meals, according to executive director Lucy Bush Carter. Volunteers dropped off emergency packs of nonperishable food during Thursday and Friday deliveries of meals for shut-ins and the elderly. Regular deliveries are hoped to resume Tuesday.
CATS says some bus routes may be affected by Sunday’s weather. For service updates, passengers can visit https://bit.ly/2KRKJwA or call CATS Customer Service at 704-336-RIDE (7433).
For other grocers, all Publix, Harris Teeter, Target, Costco, BJ’s and Bi-Lo stores in the Charlotte region are operating normal hours Sunday.
As far as other specialty grocers and delis are concerned, Common Market is operating all its locations Sunday; Rhino Market is open on Morehead until 4 p.m. and closed uptown Sunday; Laurel Market is open until 1 p.m.; NoDa Bodega closes at 2 p.m.
Many restaurants attached to hotels are open, including The Asbury at The Dunhill and Stoke at the Marriott City Center. If you’re itching to get out of the house, a number of restaurants/bars are operating normally, including Vivace, Angeline’s, Tyber Creek, Smokey Joe’s, Thirsty Beaver, Co, Sir Edmond Halley’s, Upstream, Mimosa and Siggy’s Good Food.
Some restaurants have limited hours. Seoul Food Meat Co. is closed for lunch but open for dinner, for instance. Midwood Smokehouse closes all locations at 4 p.m.
Charlotte Premium Outlets, SouthPark mall, Concord Mills and Carolina Place are all open Sunday, although individual retailers may opt to close. All Charlotte-area Lowe’s stores are open.
All runways at Charlotte Douglas Regional Airport are open, although passengers are advised to check with their respective carriers for flight status updates.