Local

Huntersville woman who lost home to 2012 fire receives new one Sunday

Thanks to the Huntersville Fire Department and community and church volunteers, a Huntersville woman who lost her home to fire in 2012 will get the keys to a new one on Sunday.

Betty Patterson’s homeowner’s insurance was canceled before the fire that claimed her home in the 7200 block of Hambright Road, Huntersville Fire Department spokesman Bill Suthard said. She was left with nothing, he said.

The cause of the fire was accidental due to an electrical issue, Suthard said.

Volunteers formed Build Betty a House, a nonprofit that raised about $60,000 to build Patterson a new home. Habitat For Humanity offered the design work and some technical assistance for free. Since Patterson owned her home, she didn’t qualify for a Habitat home.

“The Huntersville community and many local churches rallied behind her and through fundraising efforts and hard work – were able to build her a brand new home,” Suthard said.

Patterson is a lifelong Huntersville resident in her late 60s.

“We were there when Betty lost her home, and we will be there when she gets it back,” he said. “We’ll even help hand over the keys to her new home.”

The dedication is scheduled for 3 p.m.

“We’ve always known that Huntersville was a wonderful community to live and work in, and we are constantly amazed at how much the community rallies to support us and our causes,” Suthard said.

  Comments